Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Challenge Diet Plans

DON'T EAT JUNK..... THE END.


Just kidding (well kind of).

First of all let me make the point that the word diet here simply refers to the types of food you eat, this is not 'a diet'.  I do not 'diet.'  I chose to eat healthy, clean foods and make it a lifestyle.

And yes, I eat.  I eat a lot.  I still probably eat way more than I should.  It's just that what I eat is not filled with processed chemicals and overloaded with sugars and doesn't get stuck directly on my butt.

And no, I don't just eat rabbit food all day, munching on carrots and celery.   I like my meals to be large and filling, that's why it is important that they are filled with 'good for you' foods.

My diet hasn't changed much since I first made the blog with my sample menus and favorite meals.  I eat 5-6 times a day every 2 1/2 - 3 hours; 3 main meals and 2-3 healthy snacks.  I try to have a lean protein, complex carb and healthy fat with almost every meal.  I do like to switch it up from time to time and try new things.  And I definitely still have a cheat night every week.

However, throughout this challenge I will be incorporating carb cycling with my meals.  This is a nutritional approach that alternates high carb days and low carb days that can help improve fuel utilization efficiency and use fat for energy instead of muscle.  Therefore I can try to lean out and get shredded without loosing a lot of muscle mass.  This healthy approach has also been shown to increase thyroid productivity and support one's psychological state.

Now, note that I said 'low' carb days - not 'no' carb days.   As evil as fad diets have made carbs out to be, they are an essential part of our daily diets (the good carbs that is).  Simple carbs found in anything with sugar, chips, cakes, baked goods, most breads and cereals, etc. are the evil ones, those you should avoid.

However, complex carbs, such as brown rice, whole grains, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, and those found in green veggies, are what SHOULD be in your diet everyday.  These are the foods that give you energy and help your brain to function.  Every try to go without carbs and end up cranky and maybe even a bit air-headed and zero energy?  It's because you're body is needed those complex carbohydrates to manage working properly.

Another thing to mention is that high carb days do not mean high calorie days.  Continue to try to eat the same amount of calories, just adjust your meals accordingly.  On high carb days eat less healthy fats with your meals, but keep the protein intake the same.  On low carb days, make sure to incorporate complex carbs into your meals, just in a very small amount.  I also may eat my meals closer together and add one more healthy snack, such as almonds (a healthy fat), to my day.  And I plan on making sure my cheat meals are on high carb days so I won't regret that piece of pizza.  There are specific macro-nutrient information on how many carbs you should be eating on high and low days according to your size and goals (see references), but I don't count macros .

FOR BEGINNERS
A quick tip for beginners.  Start off slow.  Don't throw out your entire cube of Mtn Dews that you regularly drink all day long and expect to be fine.  Like it or not, our bodies are completely addicted to sugar; mine, your's, everybody.  And completely quitting cold turkey will throw your body into a crazy withdrawal that will leave you tired, moody, cranky, and eventually throwing you far off the wagon.

Start slow!  If you drink 4 pops a day, cut it down to 2 for a couple of weeks, then 1, then quit them all together.  Choose wheat instead of white, start measuring your portion sizes, and add more whole fruits and veggies everyday.

I would also suggest starting off using a calorie counter.  There are tons of apps and websites for this.  It is an amazingly useful tool to really make you aware of how much you are eating because most people drastically underestimate how much they are putting into their bodies.  Start off tracking how much you eat on a normal day (without trying to eat unusually good), see where you are and then start assessing what foods are hurting you and start making small daily changes until you're in a healthy calorie limit while getting in all your nutrients.

I'll post some of my weekly meal plans throughout the challenge for anyone following!  Hope all you all are going to challenge yourselves too and MAKE YOURSELF transform!!

References:
http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/nutrition/healthy-eating-tips/carb-cycling-diet-101/

No comments:

Post a Comment