Saturday, June 1, 2013

MAKE (IT) YOURSELF: Late Night Snack Attack!!

I recently switched the times of my daily workouts from the evenings to the mornings, mostly because with this nice weather I'd much rather be chilling on these evenings than exercising.  I've actually been wanting to switch my daily routine around for a while, I've just been nervous about doing it because I know I have a serious problem with the Late Night Munchies!!

If I've done a good workout in the evening, then I'm pretty guaranteed to eat my normal pre and post workout meals and not a bag of cookies.  Now that I'm not working out in the evenings I'm tempted by the allure of something sweet or chocolaty.

However, I have found a couple awesome fixes.  It's always good to eat a small meal before bed, especially if its been over 3 hours since your dinner, and of course your meal should be a combination of a protein and carb or even a maybe a little healthy fat.  So here are some of my new favorite late night snacks that hits the sweet tooth and gets rid of any other bad cravings.

Fruit and Yogurt Parfait

McDonald's doesn't have anything on this!!  It is amazing, and even without any chocolate, the yogurt and fruit make it sweet enough to curb my cravings.

1 5oz non-fat Greek Yogurt
1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein
3 Tbsp Oatmeal
3-4 Strawberries, thinly sliced
1/4 c Blueberries

In a bowl mix yogurt and whey protein.  Then layer in a cup: yogurt mix, 1 tbsp. oatmeal, and a layer of strawberries and blueberries.  Keep layering until all is gone.


Frozen Chocolate - Peanut Butter Bowl

You can make this to be like a cake or brownie or I like to leave mine a bit gooey and then put it in the freezer for about an hour so it's more like ice cream!

1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1 tbsp. coconut flour
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1 egg white
1 packet truvia
1/4 tsp baking powder
small dash of salt
1/4 c unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp. natural peanut butter

Mix everything except Peanut butter in a bowl.  Spray another bowl with no stick spray and pour mixture into that bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 30 seconds.  Top with peanut butter and let melt into the chocolate.  Re-cover and microwave for 10 more seconds.





Protein Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bowl

One of my all time favorites!

1 tbsp. natural peanut butter
1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein
1 tsp honey
2 tsp dark chocolate chips
2 tsp raisins
1/4 c oats
1 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk

Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl.  Then mix in milk.  I like to put mine in the freezer for a while so it's cold and a bit crunchy!


Protein PB & J Yogurt Bowl

This was one of those awesome creations when I didn't have any of my normal stuff so I just started throwing random stuff in a bowl and it turn out amazing!

1 5oz Chobani non-fat Greek Yogurt - Plain
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 tbsp. natural peanut butter
1/2 tbsp. grape jelly - sugar free preferably
1/4 c oats

Mix everything in a bowl.  It's that simple. 

Almond Butter and Honey Rice Cakes

This is a simple, but great recipe and what I go to if I'm in a hurry and don't want to mix up a bunch of stuff or need something lighter.

1 or 2 Plain Rice Cakes
Natural Almond Butter
Honey

Spread about 1 tsp almond butter on each rice cake, then top with 1/2 tsp honey.


All of these recipes are 1 serving portions, which is why they work so well for me because if I had more, I'd eat more!!  But now I am able to satisfy my late night sweet tooth without the guilt!


References:
Recipes were modified from original recipes from:
Busybuthealthy.com
fitnessrx.com
bodybuilding.com

No comments:

Post a Comment